Sunday, September 28, 2014

Web Hosting: Not an Online Party

I recently inherited a job--a lovely, challenging, rewarding, influential job...that often leaves me feeling perplexed. 

When I received the role of writing the text for a new website, I was elated because I love writing! But soon the job began to require more than writing.


I studied writing in college so I know how to conjugate a verb or diagram a sentence. I know how to structure and balance sentences for the greatest possible emphasis. I know how to use big words (that I don't always understand) to make my writing sound more photosynthesis. But all this computer work is new to me. You might say it's all Python or C++ or RubyonRails to me.


Finally, just when I thought I had the website under control, I saw a curve ball coming at me--web hosting! 


Now web hosting is no online party, even though there are servers involved. In essence, you purchase a subscription to part of a company's computer, the company stores your website for you, and you do a lot of hoping. 

You hope their up time is 
reasonable and support has a live chat. 
You hope they speak English and are 
not so busy fixing other bugs that you have 
to get a ticket and wait. (The problem doesn't.) 
You hope that the support can fix the 
problem quickly once they do get to you. 
You hope that NO other customers 
on that computer server get blacklisted. 
You hope that if they do, the host has 
a plan for removing you from that server 
while the problem is getting resolved.
You hope you can figure out what-in-
the-world they're talking about. 
You hope!

I hoped all these things and more. And then as I flipped between Google (defining mysterious abbreviations) and the back end of our website, suddenly...ding! The customer support team member was ready to chat and answer all my questions in excellent English. He directed links my way for quick reference. The computer stored my conversation for both parties to refer to later. It was beautiful! 


And when I sat back and closed the conversation, I checked my watch and thought, "Maybe I can take care of that other thing really fast." 

No comments:

Post a Comment