Monday, January 13, 2014

It's (not) All Up to Me

Teachers, parents, and whoever you are responsible for the development of other people: Do you ever watch the up and down progress of your charges and wonder if you’re messing up, ruining them? It’s such a big responsibility to oversee the growth of a person. My influence on a person affects the next stage of their life and the next.

As a teacher, I know I am responsible for my students’ care. I know that what I do can determine how they advance. I know that it requires much more than I can give, and that as a human I am prone to inability, to weakness, and to failure. Sometimes I think of King Solomon and pray what he prayed.  

O Lord my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in…give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people? (I Kings 3:7, 9)

In other words: You gave me this job. It's beyond my ability. Please supernaturally enable me to do it.

Today’s Schedule of Responsibility: 
  1. Identify the required activities for my position today.
  2. Decide which I can do and which I know I can’t. 
  3. Pray begging God to intervene in the ones I can't do.
He is now responsible for the results. And that’s a pretty safe place to leave it!

No comments:

Post a Comment